Monday, June 21, 2010

Santiago de Compostela

Perigrino soy, Santiago a voy!  That is what my hat said as I walked the Camino.  Entering the sprawling city was, at the beginning, much like other large cities I had walked through, lots of noise, lots of traffic, but there was something different about this one.  It seemed as if hundreds of pilgrims were walking in a very hurried pace towards their destination.  I kept my usual pace, knowing, I would arrive in perfect time.  As I approached the old city, and came up to what appeared to be the back of the sacred cathedral, I was overwhelmed with emotion.  Two street musicians were playing a simple guitar and a mandolin.  How perfect to hear stringed instruments at this moment.  The music had a Celtic flair, and was clearly sacred.  I took out my phone and tried to capture the moment on video, but it pales to the actual experience.  My friend Colon´ (A gentleman from LA, I met along the way) was yelling "we are here, this is it!"  After relishing the moment, we continued around the massive structure to the portal door where you climb the steps in the back of the sanctuary, and touch the statue of Santiago! 


Inside the church, a Mass was being said.  As I got walked up the steps to hug St. James, all in the church stood up for the Gospel.  So at the very moment I had my arms around Santiago, the whole church was singing ¨"Aleluia."  It was very cool, and weird, and cool.  It was like James himself was saying, "Well, its about time you got here Joni!"

Then off to the Pilgrim Office I went to get my Compostela, the official certificate issued for those who walked at least the last 100 kilometers to Santiago.

I also walked throughout the cathedral, placed some special prayers in the prayerbox for my family and friends (mission accomplished Claire) and then sat down for a cerveza in the plaza.  My friend Colon and I sat and watched the pilgrims come in, one by one.  To see the joy on their faces renewed us as well.  We found our beautiful hotel San Francisco, (An old monastery) very near the cathedral.  We unpacked, came back for a beautiful Mass, had a bite to eat, and crashed!


The next day we were up early to take the bus to Finisterre.  It was a long day, almost 3 hours ride by bus, then walking up to the lighthouse.  Colon´ burned his clothes, even his good bluejeans, we all laughed with him as he danced around the flames.   Today, I will explore the city some more, visits the museums, then make arrangements to return to the USA.
The miracle of Santiago will forever be within me.  God is Good.  Peace out.  Joni

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations peregrina! Well done. Safe journey home.
    Hugs,
    Sil

    ReplyDelete