Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Roncevalles to Zurbiri

I woke up in Roncevalles renewed and ready to walk all the way to Santiago! lol..  No breakfast to be had in town, so with my Japonese friend, Reiko, in tow we headed out to our next destination.  As we walked, I notices a little heat on the bottom of my feet.  With only about 5 km under out belt, we paused for a bite of breakfast at a little outside cafe.  It was so beautiful.  I took off my boots to see if all was ok and found some not so ok things.  I had somehow managed to get two huge blisters on the soles of my feet.  I also had a dangling toenail on the ¨little piggy that stayed home¨ ouch!  Lesson 1 for Joni:  always keep your toenails cut very short, or the pressure of them bumping on the toe of your boot will be so great, it will take your nail off!  Who knew?   I was very saddened by this, so I promptly threw away my boots and put on my sandals.  Jesus walked in sandals, so why couldn´t I?   Probably not a good idea, but I do things like this....The path to Zubiri is very rocky.  There is a steep downhill into the town.  My feet hurt so badly and they were bleeding through my socks.  It took me almost 10 hours to walk what would have normally been 4 or 5 for me.  I found a beautiful albergue that was new and clean and had delcious food!  I slept in this morning.  I will take the bus to Pamploma.  There I will see a doctor for my feet.  I am certain a rest day and a little help from the doctor and I will be good as new.  I am not stopping until I see Santiago!  Buen Camino!

No comments:

Post a Comment