Monday, May 31, 2010

Santo Domingo

It has been awhile since I have been to my blog.  Internet is not always as accessible as the U.S.  My feet are getting better, but man are they sore by the end of the day.  Since Estella, I have been through several little towns.  I am now in Santo Domingo.  I am sure you can find it on the map.  It is still on the outskirts of the La Rioja region.  This is an area that is full of vineyards.  And the wine is really great.  Most of the walking is on dirt paths that seem to stretch for miles and miles.  On either side are grapevines, just coming into bloom.  The hills are covered with nice little rows, all neatly plowed, that reach to the very blue sky.  For the past few days I have walked under a cloud cover. This has made the walking so pleasurable.  I have found a nice pace each day, and I often prefer to walk alone, with only an occasional pilgim passing by.  The solitude is priceless.  

On a stretch of the road along the interstate, between Estella and Najera (I think) sometimes all these towns run together when I finally get to a computer.  Anyway, pilgrims make little crosses out of anything they can find, and place it on the fence.  The one in the picture is mine.  The last picture is in the very big town of Logrona.  Right outside the tourist office is a modern statue of two pilgrims walking.  So my new friends Isabella(from Germany) and Melanie(from Switzerland) and me all jumped on the statue and a nice man walking by took this picture for us.  Notice his finger in the upper left hand corner.  Oh well, just another gift of the Caminio. lol...

3 comments:

  1. So wonderful to find you here, Joni! So delightful to follow your steps! This feels my heart with joy...
    Buen Camino, peregrina!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that you are doing fine, I was worried! Thank you for keeeping us currant and wish you well. Buen Camino Joni. I start mine Northern on the 10th from Santander. Will I be fine just sandals? Do I need hiking boots too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maryla, the northern route is different so I cannot say for you. I know that sandals are a hard way to go for the whole journey. Not too much support. I walked in sandals for two days, until I could find some good running shoes (new balance). My feet are much more comfortable in tennis shoes. Sandals are good to relax in though. Buen Camino!

    ReplyDelete